Bahr & Proschild,
Dolly face, doll mold 10, 18"
tall, feathered eyebrows, blue glass eyes, closed
mouth, bisque socket
head on composition jointed body.
George Bahr and August
Proschild founded the Bähr & Pröschild doll company
(also spelled Baehr & Proeschild) which began
as a porcelain and doll factory in 1871 in Ohrdruf, Germany.
They registered their
first doll mold in 1888 and merged with the Bruno Schmidt doll company around 1919.
Bahr & Proschild made China,
bisque and celluloid dolls (the 1911 trademark of Buporit was used on celluloid
dolls) and supplied doll heads and parts to other companies;
Kley & Hahn,
Heinrich Stier and probably
a Bahr &
Proschild doll is generally as follows
ca. 1871 - first
dolls were marked with only a mold number
ca. 1888 - mold number plus DEP was
ca. 1895 - the initials B & P
were added to the doll mold #
ca. 1900 - crossed swords were added
to doll mark
ca. 1911 - registered
- B & P was purchased by Bruno Schmidt,
used a heart
with BP as part
of the marking