Max Oscar Arnold Dolly face doll, 15 -
30" tall, bisque
socket head, composition and wood body, wigged, glass eyes,
painted lashes, open mouth with upper teeth, Doll marked: MOA 200 Made in Germany Welsch,
for Welsch & Company, distributed by
The Max Oscar Arnold
Doll Company was located in Neustadt, Germany from 1878 - 1930, they are best
known for their mechanical Talking, Walking dolls and Bathing dolls. About 1906
they began making phonograph dolls called Arnoldia dolls, that spoke in three languages, had a phonograph inside
the body and were advertised to be used to teach children language
lessons, many records were available as well. In 1919
the Max Oscar Arnold doll company purchased the
Gebruder Knoch doll Company.
Some Max Oscar Arnold doll company markings
are; initials of MOA
inside an eight pointed star, a mold number, Made
in Germany, an eagle, a disc with the eight
pointed star with MOA in the center, or a winged
gargoyle type creature holding a box with MOA inside.
Arnold also made bisque heads for Welsh & Company.