William Goebel Dolly Face doll mold 521, kid body, 21" tall
Franz Detleff Goebel and his son William Goebel founded
their porcelain factory Wilhelmsfeld in 1876, located in
Oeslau, Thüringia, Germany to produce porcelain and earthenware objects. By 1879
the company was known as F & W Goebel.
Early F & W Goebel
objects were marked with a triangle
and half moon symbol with or without a two digit mold number.
By 1893 the
company was owned solely by William, who changed the name to William Goebel
which is also when Goebel
began producing fine bisque dolls of all kinds; small all bisque dolls,
bisque Dolly Face
shoulder or socket heads on kid or composition jointed bodies, bent limb
character Baby dolls, half dolls, bathing beauties, ballerinas and Bécassine
Goebel began using the crown above
the WG initials mark, see below. Goebel also supplied
Max Handwerck with some bisque Bébé Elite doll heads
Goebel is probably best known today for their Hummel figurines and other porcelain objects.