Ernst Reinhardt doll mark
° Made in °
° ° °
° ° °
Ernst Reinhardt was born in 1875 near Hildburghausen,
Thüringia, Germany. It is unknown if there is any connection to the
Waltershausen Reinhardt's. Ernst began assembling dolls when
he was in his
early 20's in Germany along with employees, neighbors and wife Laura
Reinhardt who designed the dolls clothing, these first dolls were tiny,
miniature four inches tall, jointed at the shoulders and hips only and were
dressed in German provincial costumes.
By 1909 the Ernst Reinhardt family immigrated to Philadelphia, USA and established a doll
making factory for bisque heads with
paper-mache and wood bodies. Ernst was granted a patent in 1914
for the easy changing of the dolls stamped celluloid eyes.
Ernst moved his porcelain factory, now named Bisc Novelty Manufacturing
Company and family to East Liverpool, Ohio.