Charles Edward Turnbull doll, 20" tall
Photo courtesy of B. McGuire
Ʈ Ƹ Ṱ
Charles Edward Turnbull's company was founded in 1872 in London, England.
They are probably best known for their doll houses and miniature furnishings and
toys, some of which were imported, they also made or sold golliwogs, toy
soldiers trenches and forts. Turnbull's trade name was Charterhouse Toys,
as they were located at one time at 4 & 5 Charterhouse Road. CE Turnbull had two sons, both of whom
joined him to work in the store. The store is believed to have closed in
Shown at left, is a Turnbull doll, she has a bisque socket head, single stroke
painted eyebrows, glass sleep eyes, lightly painted upper and lower eyelashes an
open mouth with two upper teeth. She has a cloth stuffed torso with
composition arms and legs.
Doll is marked on back of neck CETANCO as shown below.